This is one of the most controversial of subjects in Christianity today. Lets us look through scripture to try and gain some understanding regarding this.
Jesus, speaking to His disciples just before His ascension said “And these signs will follow those who believe….they will speak with new tongues” (Mark 16:17).
Method of Acquisition
This phrase-“New tongues” is denoted by the word “Glossa” in the Greek.
The word Glossa means “a language unnaturally acquired”. For us to fully comprehend this meaning we need to look at how languages are naturally acquired. Here are a few ways people do it
- One naturally acquires his or her mother tongue
- He or she can also acquire the languages close associates know
- Another way is to learn languages in school, college or university
Glossa is a language that is not acquired in any of the above ways. The bible says people, after the baptism of the Holy Spirit, speak in new tongues “as the Holy Spirit gives them utterance”(Acts 2:4)
What they are
- As we study further, we find that the prophesy spoken by Jesus in Mark 16:17 was fulfilled in Acts 2:4 where the bible says “…and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues…”. But we find that when the 120 people in the upper room started speaking in tongues the multitudes outside heard them each in their own language. Why?-Many wonder. Through 1 Corinthians 14:22 the Word says “…wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers..”.THEY ARE A SIGN UNTO UNBELIEVERS
- Secondly we see that tongues –called “utterance” by scripture IS A SPOKEN LANGUAGE. Many people because they do not understand this say that they who speak in tongues while in a spirit filled group are unable to do it when alone at home. Think of it this way. I know 5 languages including English. But now I am writing in English not in any other language. Why? Because I CHOOSE to. When I was filled by the Holy Spirit I got a 6th language – spirit inspired utterance. Now, its for me to chose to speak in tongues whenever I need to-And not just when I feel charged.
Think about these things for today. Previous posts on the Holy Spirit can give you fuller understanding about relating to Him. Watch out for the next post on Different Kinds of tongues.
Be sure to subscribe to this blog today
GOD BLESS YOU !