Many people come and ask me as to why they are not able to receive the gift of God promised of old – the Holy Spirit.Listed below are some of the most common hindrances seen…
- Sin: Acts 2:38 says “Repent”…The word used is ‘metanoen’-meaning to change your mind in particular about SIN.Understand that the Holy Spirit will not settle on a dung hill-He is HOLY!.The starting point is a desire to be in the will of God by coming out of a sinful lifestyle and the Spirits empowerment to do this will follow
- Disobedience :Acts 5:32 says “And we are his witnesses to these things and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him”
- Unbelief: John 7:38-39 teaches us regarding this subject by echoing the words of Jesus that says”He who believes in me ,as the scripture has said,out his heart will flow rivers of living water.But this He spoke concerning the Spirit,whom those believing in Him would receive;For the Holy Spirit was not yet given,because Jesus was not yet glorified”
- Fear:Many ask with the fear that God wont give them the gift of His Spirit.Jesus,wanting to dispel all such fears said in Luke 11:11-13 “If a son asks for bread from any father amongst you,will he give him a stone?Or if he asks for a fish will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?Or if he asks for an egg will he offer him a scorpion?If you then,being evil,know how to give good gifts to your children,how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”
- Ignorance:Acts 19:1-6 tells us of how Paul met some disciples at Ephesus.He asked them as to whether they had received the Holy Spirit to which they replied that they had not so much as heard that there was a Holy Spirit.Paul taught them regarding the Holy Spirit,they heard and understood after which Paul laid hands on them and prayed-The Holy Spirit came!
- Unforgiveness: Not forgiving others somehow hinders the flow of the Holy Spirit into a persons life.The Lords prayer that went”…forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others” is worth meditating upon in this regard.
- Dependence on Works:Acts 2:38 reads”…and you shall receive the GIFT of the Holy Spirit”.We need to understand that gifts are given not earned.You cannot receive this gift because of what you do.Therefore stop trying and start trusting and depending on what Jesus has done for you!
People often try to receive the gift through performance.They sometimes try to twist God’s arm and make Him give by fasting,all night prayer,etc.But the necessary revelation you need is that
- God accepts you in Christ Jesus
- The Holy Spirit is not given to perfect people but is given to people who want to do God’s will-to help them achieve Christ likeness
- The Holy Spirit is the Fathers promise.And He says through Genesis 28:15 “Behold,I am with you and will keep you wherever you go,and will bring you back to this land;for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you”.These are the words of a God who never changes.Look to His graciousness,love and faithfulness to be filled
Here is a prayer that you can pray
“Lord ,I understand this day that you want me to receive you gracious gift of the Holy Spirit that you have promised your people of old.
Lord, as I want to overcome the hindrance of sin,I ask your forgiveness.And,I ask for your help to live a holy life.
I commit myself to obeying the commands that you give me.I also ask for forgiveness regarding all forms of disobedience shown to you in the past.Please forgive me.
I believe that Jesus is the Messiah,the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords and the eternal son of God.I believe that He is the only way to salvation and I recognize Jesus as my personal savior and Lord.
I renounce ignorance and commit myself to reading the Word of God.I also renounce fears and the thought that I could work to receive the Holy Spirit.
This day,I depend on the love and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and on His promise which says “Ask and it shall be given unto you”I ask O Lord..Give me the gift of the Holy Spirit..
Lord Holy Spirit,.I welcome you into my life.Come dwell in me,teach me ,guide me,help me,be with me all through the days of my life.I thank you for answering my prayers …AMEN !
May God bless you and fill you with his spirit !